Article Content

MarketFlick Insights

HSBC Reaffirms Commitment to Private Credit After Report of $4bn Pause

Sunday, May 17, 2026
4 min read
HSBC Reaffirms Commitment to Private Credit After Report of $4bn Pause

At a glance

  • HSBC denies pausing its $4 billion private credit investment plan and reaffirms commitment.
  • The bank recently took a $400 million loss linked to Market Financial Solutions, increasing scrutiny.
  • Private credit totals about $3.5 trillion and faces regulatory and investor concern.
  • Investors have sought redemptions amid worries about lending standards and sector concentration, especially in software.
  • Market watchers will monitor HSBCs future actions and any industry-wide shifts in private credit allocation.

HSBC denies pause and reaffirms private credit strategy

HSBC said on Friday it remains committed to its private credit investments, pushing back against a Financial Times report that the bank had paused a plan to invest $4 billion into its own private credit funds.

The banks statement came after renewed market concern about private credit exposure, following a separate $400 million hit HSBC took related to the collapse of British mortgage lender Market Financial Solutions. That loss had already raised questions about banks links to the private credit market.

An HSBC spokesperson told Reuters by email: We are committed to our asset managements offering in private credit funds. The London-listed bank had first announced the $4 billion plan in June 2025.

Why this matters: private credit under scrutiny

Private credit is a growing but less regulated sector that now totals about $3.5 trillion globally. It includes loans made by non-bank lenders and private funds to companies, often in the form of direct lending. Institutional investors such as pension funds and insurance companies have increased their allocations to private credit seeking higher yields than those available in public markets.

However, regulators and market participants have grown more cautious. In recent months, some wealthy investors have sought to withdraw money from private credit vehicles. Concerns driving these redemptions include weakening lending standards at some funds and concentrated exposure to sectors at risk of disruption, notably technology and software, where artificial intelligence is changing business models rapidly.

HSBCs private credit plan drew attention partly because it would represent a major bank making a large internal commitment to the asset class. That could be seen as a sign of confidence, but it also raises questions about the banks risk exposure if private credit losses were to increase.

The Financial Times report and HSBCs response

The FT reported that HSBC had paused transfers into its private credit funds and had not moved any of the $4 billion. The story quoted unnamed sources familiar with HSBCs decision-making process and said the bank had no immediate plans to transfer money into those funds.

HSBC disputed that account. The banks spokesperson reiterated that it remains committed to the private credit offering run by its asset management arm and gave no indication that it had abandoned or indefinitely suspended the plan.

HSBC Chairman Brendan Nelson had earlier told shareholders that the bank had substantially completed a review of its lending policies and practices after the $400 million loss tied to Market Financial Solutions. That review appears to be part of a broader reassessment of risk management across exposures, including private credit.

Wider context: regulators and market sentiment

Global regulators are paying closer attention to private credit. Because many private credit funds operate outside the strict oversight that governs deposit-taking banks, authorities worry that shocks could ripple through the financial system if lenders and investors move quickly to redeem positions or reduce exposures.

For banks like HSBC, the key challenge is balancing the desire for higher returns and client demand for private credit products against the need for stronger controls and stress testing. The markets recent jittersfueled by high-profile losses and shifts in technology riskhave made that balancing act more difficult.

What to watch next

Investors and analysts will watch whether HSBC proceeds with any transfers into its private credit funds, and if so, on what timeline. They will also look for further details from the bank about changes to lending standards, oversight of private credit exposures, and the outcome of its internal review.

Other large banks and asset managers will likewise face scrutiny over their private credit strategies. If more institutions slow or alter plans to invest in private credit, the market could see reduced liquidity and a reassessment of valuations across the sector.

Conclusion

HSBC has publicly denied the Financial Times report that it paused a $4 billion plan to invest in its own private credit funds, and it reaffirmed its commitment to private credit. Still, the episode highlights rising regulatory and investor concern around the private credit market following recent losses. How HSBC and other major institutions respondthrough risk reviews, disclosure and possible changes to investment planswill shape confidence in the private credit sector in the months ahead.

MarketFlick Insights

Get the latest analysis and top articles of the week delivered directly to your inbox.

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Development Environment
ENV:unknown
DB:unknown